Painting of Chisel |helloartsy.com/hardwood-chisel-painting
The Hardwood Chisel • 16 x x inches • Oil on Canvass • 2014

This was one of those paintings that progressed nicely from start to finish.  I begin the artistic process with a actually accurate drawing on paper, to calibration compared to the bodily size of my canvass.  I then transferred the cartoon to the canvass and began painting.  The chisel had three materials that I needed to paint: wood, steel, and brass.  The combination of the 3 materials was i of the aspects I was originally drawn to when deciding to pigment this tool.

I hadn't painted brass in a long time and I quickly found out that raw sienna was the perfect base color from which to become started with.  The wooden handle of the chisel had a beautiful, rich finish to it.  Having some knowledge near wood finishes, stains, varnishes, etc.  I decided to utilise some glazing to convey the wooden part of the tool.  This indirect manner of painting, via glazes, is more than or less what gives the real handle it'south look anyway and so it made sense to reproduce the effect with my oil paints on canvas.  Now that the painting is varnished the painted wooden handle has such depth and luminosity, much like the original tool!